Friday, April 15, 2022

comfort reads

I have a few books that I read over and over and never tire of them.  A bad mood, rough day, challenging circumstance…they all drift away when I open the cover on that familiar world.  A few of those for me are Anne McCaffrey’s Harper Hall trilogy beginning with Dragonsong (fantasy), Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell (gritty crime), The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (contemporary fiction), Claiming Ground by Laura Bell (memoir), Stay by Allie Larkin (humor fiction) and Nobody’s Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (romance). Here are a few other great suggestions from readers online!

The Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux

Jacquie says: “My favorite comfort go-to read is The Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux. It’s a few years old but deals with friendships, loss, a bit of magic, and second chances. Who could want more?”

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Amy says: “It is the one book that I can read over and over, and it puts life into perspective.”

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Karen says: “I have several (or more!) comfort reads, but my most recent is the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. I feel like I am catching up with long-absent friends, and I find out something new about them with each reread.”

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Louise says: “It haunts your heart.”

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Amber says: “I have read it six times, and each time, I have found a new meaning and message. Whenever I have a big change in life or any type of difficulty, this is my go-to book. It is so beautifully written with something for everyone. It reads like a fairy tale but includes wisdom and guidance for those who seek it. Getting ready for my seventh read!”

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

Patty says: “It is the best for comfort and calming and feeling good.”

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Katrina says: “If I had one book to be stranded on an island with, this book would keep me happy. John and Owen just feel like home.”

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Susan says: “Any time I’m feeling really down, it sweeps me away to a different place and time, with complex characters I can really feel, and the story not just of a love affair, but of a marriage to stand the test of time.”

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Marsha says: “It’s a great perspective on how, when losing someone, we are also grieving for the person we used to be, who we used to be when they were here, and how we are different now with them gone. It’s both a sad but comforting read.”

The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata

Kim says: “I’ve read it 23 times since January 2017, and I don’t plan to stop anytime soon. The characters are like old friends, and my heart is always so full after I finish yet another reread.”

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

Emma says: “Such an uplifting and emotional read.”

Still Life by Louise Penny

Jo says: “Any of Louise Penny’s Gamache series because Three Pines and all the characters feel very much like home/family. The writing is wonderful. And no matter how many times I read them, I always find something new in each book.”

Photo by Inside Weather on Unsplash

 https://www.bookbub.com/blog/favorite-comfort-reads

No comments: