Saturday, December 16, 2006

Great New Read for the Holiday Season

I love nothing better than a good mystery, unless it's a good ghost story. This new book I've been listening to - The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - is both!
The narrator is a young woman by the name of Margaret Lee who receives a mysterious letter one afternoon at her father's bookshop. Answering the author's summons, she finds herself immersed in a mystery of gothic proportions.
This new novel really has it all, madness and lunacy, a dilapidated old mansion, a cruel governess, and, of course, ghosts.
You know, there's a history of ghost stories at Christmas, not the least of which is Dicken's A Christmas Carol (another favorite of mine), so this book seemed natural to me for this time of year. It's also a very British novel, with chill wind, great accents, oh, and did I mention, ghosts?
Check it out on CD (like me) or read it, it's great!

No comments: