Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Challenge for the New Year

So, I signed up over at J. Kaye's Book Blog for the 2009 100+ Reading Challenge!  What that boils down to is that I have vowed to read (and review!) at least 100 books this year and I will be sharing it with you along the way!  

1. The United States Constitution:  A Graphic Adaptation by Jonathan Hennessey and Aaron McConnell
I personally would never have thought I could sit down and read a book about the Constitution but I read this one cover to cover in a relatively short period of time.  I learned several things I did not know, got a refresher on many others, and giggled a time or two as well.  VERY accessible and quite scholarly for a general overview.  

2. a mercy by Toni Morrison
This novel had a bit too much of a stream-of-consciousness feel to it for me to really love it. That being said, most parts of the story were very cohesive and very moving.  I liked getting the story from so many different perspectives, especially the perspectives of Florens and Lina. Heartbreaking, bitter, redemptive, and so horrifically indicative of what was to blossom from the first stirrings of indentured and slave labor.  I look forward to reading another of Morrison's books soon.




Happy Reading!
htw

5 comments:

Jenne said...

That is so cool! I am signing myself up right now.

Emmet O'Neal Library said...

I'm pretty excited about it myself though I'll need to really kick it in gear if I'm going to have a chance of finishing on time :)
htw

Emmet O'Neal Library said...

I don't know if I can read 100 in a year! That's a lot. I will have to try the 52 book challenge :)
km

Anonymous said...

Wow. One hundred books? I would love to read that many this year but I'm afraid I would be off to a bit of a slow start--only at four for '09! The past few years I've averaged the mid-80s. I'm a bit obsessive about cataloging this stuff.

Emmet O'Neal Library said...

I don't know if I'll be able to get it done, but I'm going to give it a good try :)
htw