Monday, May 25, 2009

My favorite book of the summer so far!


OMG!  I haven't had this much fun in a while.  This little book, due out June 16th, is the PeRfEcT beach read!  

Hothouse Flower is the story of a young woman in her thirties (it's quite appropriate to call her a bitter divorcee) doing ad work she doesn't particularly care for and working for a super sleazy boss.  Her job is empty, her apartment is empty, her life is empty.  Shouldn't she be doing something better with her life?  Well, Ms. Lila Nova decides to start with one plant.  She finds  a plant stall at the local market owned by a man not like any Lila is acquainted with.  He is tanned and strong and has dirt on his hands and clothes that is more than superficial.  He sells Lila a bird-of-paradise and offers her a whole lot more.  A whole host of surprising things happen for Lila, only the beginning of which is the success she has with the first exotic plant.  Her association with the plant man leads her to actions and places she never could have imagined, and they just may lead her to herself.

I love debut novels!  I love the new ideas, new voices, the sometimes unpolished moments I find in them.  Never be timid to try something completely new, you just might be in for a treat as I was with Hothouse Flower.  The analogy included in my ARC is that Hothouse Flower is Eat, Pray, Love meets The Orchid Thief with a dash of Romancing the Stone on the side.  Yes, yes, yes!  You have some over-the-top characters in some over-the-top situations and I loved every minute of it!  It was fun, exciting, sexy, and thoroughly enjoyable.  Also mentioned in the ARC is that Julia Roberts has bought the film rights and is scheduled to star as Lila.  I will SO watch this movie if/when it makes it to the big screen.

So, if you are ready for some rollicking, rolling, sexy, fun adventure, put this on your summer reading list for sure!  Also, I read this as part of my 100+ Reading Challenge and I'm on cusp of 50 books for the year so far!

Happy reading!
Holley

4 comments:

Carla Jean said...

a. I've read it too, and it was definitely an interesting read!

b. On the cusp of 50? And I thought I read a lot!

Emmet O'Neal Library said...

I hope every one who reads it likes it as well as I did! As to the cusp of 50, I joined at 100+ reading challenge so I am only half way through for the year if I want to complete the challenge!
Holley

Leslie Deason said...

Sounds like a fun summer read! I've placed my hold.

Emmet O'Neal Library said...

It is! It is! I hope it is tremendously successful! I'm already eager for another book by her and this one isn't even published yet :-)
Holley